Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 16:14:56 GMT by Jolinsay
Dear sirs / madam, I am both employed and self-employed on property rental business, currently limited to renting a room in my house. I would like to expand my business and seek for business opportunities, such as to perform house viewing, continue development by attending conference. Therefore a car is now necessary for me. I have looked at EV that can give me 100% capital allowance to set off any profits from my self-employment business. Assuming the price of EV is £45,000, and my self-employment income is £12,000, that will made my business traded in a loss of £12,000 - £45,000 = loss of £33,000. Assuming my FY24/25 employment income is £60,000 in FY24/25, as self-employment losses can set off against other income such as the employment income, my taxable profit will therefore be £60,000 - £33,000 = £27,000 in simplest scenario. And that's the basis that I will be taxed, bring me from 40% tax bracket to 20% tax bracket, paying income tax of (£27,000 - £12,750) * 20% = £2,850? If I use the EV for personal mileage, will my BiK tax be charged at 20% tax bracket too? By claiming the 100% capital allowance, can I still claim depreciation charge on my EV for the following 5 years of useful life if I am using the traditional accounting method? Is there a differences in how much capital allowance I can obtain if I pay the EV at once or through hire purchase? And must I take out a business hire purchase instead of a personal hire purchase to show that I will use the EV in my self-employment business. Is there any other tax that I should be considering? Thanks,
Posted Thu, 06 Jun 2024 16:43:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi 
We cannot comment on scenarios, we can only provide general information / guidance in this forum.
Please have a look at the guidance here
Claim capital allowances
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.