Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Apr 2022 16:26:50 GMT by david1234
Hi, I am looking for guidance on how to claim a Corporation Tax refund from HMRC, and if this process differs depending on the type of refund this is. For many clients we have followed the HMRC guidance, however in the vast majority of cases it has taken several months before the refunds have been actioned, which clearly is just not acceptable and very harmful for business cashflow. I see on research there is an online form for the 3 year loss carry back due to covid (providing de minimis under £200K), however can this be used for all Corporation Tax loss relief claims and also what timescale are refunds being processed and sent out to taxpayers when submitting a claim via this method?
Posted Sun, 24 Apr 2022 06:26:08 GMT by Honey yousaf
In the event that you made a loss from trading, you may be entitled to claim for a carryback on your Company Tax Return in the period when the loss was incurred. As long as you file your claim within the time limit for amending your can make your claim in your return or in an amendment to your return. Your claim can also be made by writing to the tax authority.
Posted Thu, 19 May 2022 13:51:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

We continue to look at opportunities to improve our services, which include extending the use of online claim forms and a more automated service where possible.

The online form to which you refer is for making extended loss carry back claims only. We aim to work these within 4-6 weeks from receipt.  

There is also an online form for reclaiming tax paid by close companies on loans to participators.  

CTM61610 - Close companies: loans to participators and arrangements conferring benefit on participators: repayment of - date relief is due

All other Corporation Tax repayment claims can be made within a return filed online or in writing to: 

Corporation Tax Services 
HM Revenue and Customs 
BX9 1AX 
United Kingdom

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.