Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 02 Feb 2022 14:12:46 GMT by KS1
Hi, Is there a way for a non-resident to open a Government Gateway account in order to report CGT on a UK Property when they don't have a UK Postcode?
Posted Wed, 02 Feb 2022 16:25:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi KS1,

Please follow the link here for reporting non resident capital gains, you should not require a UK postcode to do this.

How to report disposals

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:40:50 GMT by Chris Harding
The link you have provided requires use of the Government Gateway user ID system. As HMRC has been advised on multiple occasions, non residents cannot use this system as we do not have UK proof of identity documents. Therefore, please advise how non residents can either overcome this problem with the Gateway system, or what is the alternative that we are required to use. Please do not simply provide telephone numbers to call, as i have already spoken to multiple people, multiple times and nobody has been able to provide a solution. People want to comply with HMRC requirements, but HMRC needs to help make this happen. Please help!!
Posted Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:47:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
Hi Chris1966, 
If you are unable (for the reasons provided) to submit an online declaration via the Government Gateway, please call HMRC on 0300/200/3300 and a technical advisor will email you the manual version of the appropriate form.
Income Tax: general enquiries                      
Thank you.                                               
Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2022 07:55:33 GMT by Chris Harding
Thank you for your reply. Can you please confirm the exact name and specific reference number of the form that I need to request to advise HMRC of a non-resident disposal of a UK Investment Property. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 14:13:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

The form you require does not have a specific reference number, it is simply known as the manual Capital Gains Tax UK Property Disposal Return form.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.