Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 13:06:49 GMT by Nicola Chubb
Hi, Am I right in thinking that when selling your Buy2Let property that used to be your home, the CTG tax is only applicable to the increase in value from when you started renting it out? (switched mortgage to Buy2Let valuation?) if for example you brought the house in 2008, lived in it as your main residential home on a residential mortgage for 10 years, and then past 6 years its been a Buy2Let? its not the what you paid originally for the house only the last 6 Years if its increased in value? many thanks,
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:38:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

No, the gain is based on the increase in value from the date the property was purchased. You can then claim Private Residence Relief for the period you lived in the property to reduce any taxable amount. You can see guidance here:

HS283 Private Residence Relief (2024)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.