Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2024 15:05:59 GMT by Ruth
Hi, I have exercised stock options (same day) and sold shares in the year 2023-2024. My company takes care of the tax implications (in my payslip) for the shares vested and the options exercised in the same day. I sell shares and exercice options in etrade, a trading platform from the US, and wire the money to my WISE account and then to my UK bank account. This leaves me with the responsibility of calculating CTG only on the "shared sold". These are my questions: 1. Can I deduct the cost WISE charges of commission for the transfer received from etrade and sent to my bank account in GBP? The cost is a commission applied for the combination of the money received for the options and shares. 2. If the commission can be deducted as cost, where should I add this cost in my self assessment? Is this 'allowable costs (including purchase price)'.? Does that still exists in the self assessment? 3. Based on my calculation, the CGT is under £6K, do I need to report the gains even if they did not pass the 6K? How about the options (which in this case will be 0 since it is same day sale and my company immediately takes care of the taxes implied). Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 10:18:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 18 Response
Hi,

Please refer to guidance at:

HS284 Shares and Capital Gains Tax (2024) Updated 6 April 2024

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 13:40:44 GMT by Ruth
Hi thanks but your answer is not of much help here. I have gone through the guidance before but I can not find anywhere precise information on what to understand as "allowable costs" and whether I can include costs of commission charged by WISE when transferring money from etrade to an UK account. I would appreciate if you could help me find precise information on this. Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2024 08:42:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
Any costs incurred in transferring money to the UK are not an allowable expenses for capital gains purposes, as they are not part of the acquistion or disposal process.  
Please have a look at the guidance at CG78300 onwards (CG78300 - Foreign currency: introduction).
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.