Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 12:06:43 GMT by
Hi, I work for a German company and sold RSUs, tax and NI have been paid through PAYE. I also have a tax payment record for Germany in my account. First question is can I gain a tax credit for the german tax if I declare it as Foreign Income? Next question: On my statement which shows the sales proceeds and deducted Tax there is also a section that shows CApital Gains which shows the total Capital Gain to be the same as the Sales Proceeds. Suggesting that there is a Cpaital GAin liability that equals the total amount of the sales before taxes (FMV Shows as Zero). My understanding that Capital Gains is paid on the increase post vesting. As these shares vested and sold at the same time I don't expect any CG Tax, especially not of the full value of the Sales Proceeds. Is my understanding correct?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 12:53:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi, 

You can claim a tax credit in a self assessment tax return, to ensure you do not need to pay tax twice in the same income. 

If you sell the shares immediately on vesting then there is no capital gains tax.

Thank you 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.