Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 07 Aug 2022 18:42:31 GMT by Lana Lo
Dear HMRC adviser, I just moved to U.K. in October 2021. In tax season 2021-22, I only have around £450 gain from selling shares, and under £50 interest from saving account. May I know do I need to file a tax return as I believe I do not need to pay any tax with this minimal income. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Aug 2022 13:20:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lana Lo, 

An individual, who is resident in the United Kingdom, is liable to be taxed on their world wide income in the United Kingdom.  

If that individual then relocates to another country and becomes resident there, then they would only be taxable in the United Kingdom, on their worldwide income up to the date they left the United Kingdom.

Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 08 Aug 2022 14:47:41 GMT by Lana Lo
I sold the shares in HK in September 2021 before I moved to U.K. in October 2021. Do I need to file tax for season 21-22?
Posted Tue, 09 Aug 2022 11:46:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are deemed resident in the UK for tax purposes for 21/22 tax year, then you would need to declare any capital gains tax arising

from the disposal of those shares either using the 'real time' capital gains tax service, which can be found at :  ,

or by submitted a 21/22 tax return . 

To use the online service, you must report the gain before 31 December 2022 and pay the tax by 31 January 2023. 

A credit can be claimed for any tax paid abroad on the disposal of the shares.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.