Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2024 16:13:37 GMT by KuenHK Lam
Hi HMRC, I am writing to ask about the reporting of capital gain / loss from the sale of stock shares. Let says, I had bought 1000 share units of one stock in previous years, and now I sold only part of share units (e.g. 400 units) of that share stock last year. For the self assessment return of tax year (2023/2024), am I required to report only this partial sale of stock units in the calculation sheet to HMRC? OR, I only need to do the reporting of the captial gain / loss until ALL share units are sold out in the future years. Grateful for your expert advice. Thank you in advance.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 14:15:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You need to report any gain/loss of the partial stock sale as this is still the sale of an asset.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 22:57:02 GMT by KuenHK Lam
Hi HMRC Admin 20, In response to your above advice, I would like to know if the total gain from the captioned partial stock disposal is below annual exempt allowance (GBP 6,000 for 2023/2024), am I still required to report this gain as a record or giving notice for HMRC's information, in my self assessment tax return. I went through some relevant comments in the HMRC forum. One HMRC staff replied that "It is only the loss that needs to be reported within 4 years to ensure it can be used. If you make a disposal that is over the annual exempt amount this needs to be reported in the tax year that it arises". Regarding the above statement, can I make it explicit that "I do not need to report any gain arisen from whole disposal or partial disposal of shares if such total gain is less than the annual exempt allwance (according to tax year)? And, the reporting of any capital loss is allowed to be made within 4 years from its arising. Such loss reporting serves to offset against future capital gains. There is no time frame for the "reported" capital loss to be used." Your expert advice (and reply) is highly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2024 11:40:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can use the real time capital gains service to report and pay the capital gains tax here:

Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax

You have until 31 December after the relevant tax year has ended to report using this service. If you do not do so, you will be required to comple a Self Assesment tax return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.