Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 13:45:35 GMT by
I have been issued with a chargeable event certificate, the gains arising from the event are less than £10,000. I have read on a previous thread that I do not need to submit a self assessment tax return, but do need to send HMRC a copy of the certificate (to BX9 1AS?). Other than the certificate itself, what other information do I need to include - just NI number/address? Have been going round in circles on the HMRC App, hoping someone here can help solve what is possibly a very simple question, thanks
Posted Tue, 23 May 2023 12:57:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

The gain arising from the disposal/ maturity of the non qualifying life assurance policy, is taxable as income, in the tax year that the gain arises.

We ask that you send the certifite to HM Revenue and Customs BX9 1AS, so that We can add the gain from the policy to your income and work out how much additional tax is due.  

There is a basic rate (20%) notional tax shown on the certificate, which is added in to the calculation as tax treated as paid. In most cases, the notional tax treated as paid, is enough to cover the additional tax due, but that is not always the case.

Have a look at Helpsheet HS320, which can be found at.  

HS320 Gains on UK life insurance policies (2023)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.