Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 01 Apr 2023 22:00:40 GMT by John Schofield
Please can someone put me straight I understand PPR can be claimed on the disposal of an overseas dwelling house providing the individual was resident in that country, or spent at least 90 nights in the property during the tax year it was disposed/sold My dilemma is that the sale of the home will be about the end of April which would equate to a max possible 30 days in that year, yet I have spent a total of 6 month prior Can anyone help me with this dilemma as to will I still be able to claim PPR
Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 10:05:52 GMT by gerrya
I am not an advisor but also interested in a similar question. I assume you still have a property in the UK..
Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 10:18:10 GMT by gerrya
might be worth a read here.....................https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg64485
Posted Tue, 04 Apr 2023 21:18:55 GMT by John Schofield
Forgot to mention, no I do not have/own property in the UK
Posted Tue, 11 Apr 2023 10:35:58 GMT by gerrya
When you say.......................resident in that country, I suspect that as a resident you would also be Tax resident in that country, and therefore CGT may well be required by that country as, if there is CGT on main home (the case in Portugal) they would have first dibs at Taxing any gain.
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 10:48:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi John,

If this is a second home, then you will not get the relief as you have not met the requirements of spending 90 midnights in that property.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Apr 2023 12:08:45 GMT by gerrya
That suggests that you cannot claim PPR on such a property if sold (actual deed) within 90 days of the start of the UK tax year?
Posted Fri, 14 Apr 2023 11:29:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi John,

If it was your only and main resdience whilst you owned it, you will still get full PRR.

You do not need to own a property in the UK, for it to be classed as a second home. It is based on what is classed as your main property for relief to apply.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:08:00 GMT by derek_er Chan
Hi HMRC, I have similar situation with John Schofield. I sold an overseas dwelling house and I will get full PRR.
May I know if I have to fill in the SA108 tax return? thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:48:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

If you have no Capital Gains Tax liability, and you don't meet any of the other Self Assessment criteria,
you are not required to complete a Self Assessment tax return.  

See link :

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return  .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.