Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:21:45 GMT by David NC
I seek definitive confirmation that the execution date for share sales is that used for CGT (and indeed potential knock-on personal tax) accounting purpose. Specifically, would shares sold with an execution date of 5th April 2022 and settlement date of 7th be deemed to fall in the 21/22 fiscal year notwithstanding the settlement date being in the 22/23 fiscal year? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 22 Apr 2022 15:17:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 11
David NC, 
The date of disposal for CGT is the date on which you enter into an unconditional contract.
As regards shares, please note that the relevant date is the date on which the transaction actually took place, rather than the date of the contract note or settlement.
CG14250
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 25 Apr 2022 15:04:54 GMT by David NC
Thank you. If I understand correctly, you are stating that the 'execution' date is the same as the unconditional contract and/or transaction date? In which case, in my example above, an execution date of the 5th would result in CGT exposure in the 21/22 year I believe?
Posted Tue, 03 May 2022 13:44:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Where shares are disposed of under an unconditional contract, the disposal is treated as taking place at the time that the contract is made and not, if different, the time at which the shares are transferred.

CG14260 - Computation: rules determining date of disposal

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.