Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:04:06 GMT by Bunty
Hello, I am a UK resident but have some overseas income from dividends (shares held with a German bank). Information on https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/paying-tax is not entirely clear to me, please can you clarify: "You do not need to fill in a tax return if all the following apply: - your only foreign income is dividends [this is correct] - your total dividends - including UK dividends - are less than the £2,000 dividend allowance [this is correct; no UK dividends] - you have no other income to report [my other UK income is taxed via PAYE so I have never submitted a tax return]" What other income is meant in the last bullet point? As stated, my income is taxed via PAYE so I do not normally have to report it. Would I still need to register for self-assessment? Thanks, B
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 12:21:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Bunty,
If your foreign income is derived solely from foreign dividends and the combined sum of UK and foreign dividends is below the threshold for the tax year and no other self assessment criteria apply, then you do not need to complete a tax return.  By 'you have no other income to report' it is meant to mean foreign income.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2024 17:36:58 GMT by Bunty
WarningThis post is currently being moderated and will be visible when it has been approved by a HMRC moderator.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.