Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 09:46:08 GMT by Sarah Smith
My husband and I are selling a second property that will be subject to CGT. A declaration of trust in my name applies to the property. Will we both be entitled to the full CGT allowance when we sell the property and will the rate of CGT applied be the same for each party? (Ie. 28% only on the amount above the higher income tax rate,) Also as the 'non owner' where do I declare my capital gains on this property if appropriate? Thank you
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 14:14:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Sarah Smith

You will both be entitled to claim annual exempt allowance, when calculating the capital gain.  
Both of you will need to report and pay the capital gains tax within 60 days of the completion date, otherwise penalties and interest will be applied.  
There is a calculator to help you work out your individual gains (Tax when you sell your home).  
You can save the calculated gain as a PDF file, before moving on to the next section, which where you each create your own capital gains account.  
After logging into your new capital gains account, you declare the figures shown in your calculation and submit the gain.  
You are then invited to pay the tax owed.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.