Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 15:22:27 GMT by
I have had some EIS companies go bankrupt and am looking to get tax relief on them. However I seem to have to put something into Gains in the Year. I have had no Gians in the Year (as my other EIS companies haven't exited yet). Also any number i put in, either 0 or even 1000 results in an error message: "The amount entered for 'Gains in the year, before losses' is in an incorrect format. Monetary fields can only contain numbers, a decimal point and a minus (-) sign if the value is negative. Please amend." It is clealry a number so i don't know what to do.
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:49:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi HappyHenry,
If you complete a self assessment tax return or are claiming relief on investments of more than £33333 @ 30% = £10000, you claim EIS relief in the section Ai2 of SA101  
If you made an investment in shares issued during the year for which you have not yet received a form EIS3 or EIS5, you cannot claim relief for that investment.
You must wait until you have received a form.
If you receive the form after you’ve sent your tax return, complete the claim form inside the EIS3 or EIS5 and send it to us at
H.M. Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
BX9 1AS.  
Please have a look at HS341 for more information.
 HS341 Enterprise Investment Scheme — Income Tax relief (2023) Updated 6 April 2023.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 00:23:42 GMT by
I also had the same problem. Would it be possible to further indicate whether it is possible to complete this online if I have made an EIS investment of over £35,000 on which I want to claim a loss? Do I claim the capital gains section at all for this? I'm also unclear which boxes to fill in for SA101 if for instance, I want to claim full loss on an EIS investment of £50,000 (on which I would have received tax relief in an earlier year), so in that case, the net loss would be £35,000, which I would like to offset against income.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:16:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Shivani,
For claiming loss relief this would be on the capital gains section.
You would treat it as a disposal with proceeds of 0 to generate the loss to then set against your income.
The SA101 is only to claim the actual tax relief on the investment as you state this is for an earlier year, you would need to send this in separately.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:37:27 GMT by
Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately when I was trying this, I had the problem mentioned earlier which is that I had to put something into Gains in the Year. I have had no Gains in the year and it wouldn't let me enter 0.
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 11:02:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You can enter disposal proceeds as £1 and add £1 to your costs.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.