Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 12 May 2024 09:15:58 GMT by E
Hello, I have been searching the forum for answers to US Bills related questions and it seems that they are classified as DDS in the UK. After reading the SAIM3000 documents I still have one doubt regarding how gains and losses apply to the Fiscal Year. I understand that losses cannot be deducted but, in case of having multiple DDS some of them creating a profit and some generating a loss. Are those offset of FY calculation purposes or are losses counted as zero? To make this question a bit more clear, let me add and example: DDS1 -> gain £100 DDS2 -> gain £50 DD3 -> loss £100 is the total amount taxable for the FY £50? Or, on the contrary the loss should be considered as 0 gain (as cannot be deducted) and the taxable amount is £150? Thank you
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 05:08:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi E,
Please refer to:
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim3080.
This states the loss is set against your income charged to Income Tax for the year.
Also, as a Deeply Discounted Security (DDS) normally a US Treasury bond, would be subject to Income Tax on maturity for UK taxation purposes. However, if redeemed or sold before maturity would be subject to Capital Gains Tax, therefore, capital gains (CG) liability or loss may arise.
CG54602 - Deep discount securities: CGT adjustment
CG54602 - Deep discount securities: CGT adjustment
Therefore, any gain would be entered onto shares and securities area of CG schedule.
If double taxation applies any relief would be claimed on the Foreign schedule, CG area.
SAIM3080 - Deeply discounted securities: taxation: losses
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.