Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 08:27:05 GMT by Petrel_Ed
Hi, I made capital losses on property in 18/19 and on shares on 21/22. Each of which were reported within the time limits. Someone told me that each year I need to carry these forward on my tax return so that they will be available when I make capital gains to set these losses against. Is that true or once reported can I just refer to the relevant return when I do eventually vire them against a gain? If it is true, then how on Earth does one do it online. I talked to an inexperienced advisor in HMRC and ended up having to fill all the details of each loss again even though there were no losses in 22/23. Surely there must be an easier way just to put the totals of carried forward unused losses. Is this possible on-line or does one have to submit paper forms? So 2 questions. Do you have to detail already reported capital loss in returns for every year until they are used? If so how do you do it on the online forms?
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:24:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If already reported then you dont need to include the details every year, only when you need to use them.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 18:07:10 GMT by Petrel_Ed
Oh, that is very helpful thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.