Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 07:39:47 GMT by Tak Hung Yip
I sold the Hong Kong home property on 23-Jul-2020 and I bought new build house in the UK which the completion date on 17-Dec-2020. I came to the UK and live there start from 08-Jan-2021. I found the information from website, I owned the house in the UK for 91 days and live there more than 30 days, I am tax resident in the tax year 2020/2021. Am I right? Should I declare the gain on disposal of Hong Kong property? Are the gain on disposal subject to Capital Tax?
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 14:53:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 29

If you meet the conditions of being UK tax resident, then you need to declare your worldwide income, including capital gains unless you are claiming split year or the remittance basis.

RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment: Contents

Residence, domicile and the remittance basis: RDR1

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.