Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 14 Jan 2023 10:16:43 GMT by Jay Norton
I am a self employed sole trader . I work for an elderly lady as a PA and she asks me to drive her to many different places using my own car. I currently invoice her with two lines for example : £300 for hours worked and £95 for travel expenses – charging at 45p per mile. In this example she paid me £395, Do I record £395 as my income ? and then make sure that I record the £95 as an expense? Or do I put down £300 as income and the £95 is recorded as something else? How should I record this in my accounts and how should I enter it in my tax returns?
Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:38:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jay Norton,

The full £395 is recorded as income and then you deduct travel expenses.

Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.