Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 22:07:59 GMT by Dalito Smith
I am Self employed, UK national, resident in the UK and I have been offered a temporary work placement in Sweden in the summer. 1) What do I need to ensure I do before I go regarding HMRC? Or indeed, any such offer I receive of a similar timescale. 2) nothing is paid for by the company. I have to pay for my accommodation privately and I must also fund my transportation costs. I consider these working expenses that are directly related to the ability to work, exclusively. Do I have the right to claim these expenses? Thank you for assistance. Mr Smith
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 15:32:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Dalito Smith,
Please refer to guidance here:
Expenses if you're self-employed.
If anything is in fact paid by the company, add this as income to your turnover to then claim the expense.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 01 Mar 2024 15:49:33 GMT by Dalito Smith
It's because I didn't find anything specifically related to rent paid abroad that I asked for help. I have looked through that copy-paste link. But it's focuses on people working in the UK with a small section on overnight trips as travel expenses. I need to reiterate, 3 months rent, paid my myself. I'm not sure how I might reword it more clearly.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 09:09:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If you are still unsure after reading the guidance, you will need to contact us direct on 0300 200 3300.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 09:17:15 GMT by Dalito Smith
I'm certainly not "unsure about reading" the guidance. You have avoided my case entirely. I'm more unsure about the validity of this service. I don't need links and numbers I already have. I need someone to bother to read what I am saying. "unsure about reading" is a micro aggression and sloppy work.
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 09:12:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Dalito Smith,
We cannot give advise on specific or hypothetical scenarios hence why links are given. if you need specific advice you need to contact HMRC direct on 0300 200 3310 or engage the services of a professional. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.