Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Dec 2021 14:09:35 GMT by Julia Massey
I am completing my self-assessment for 2020/21 . I started a new job in October 2020 which is permanently work from home. Please could you confirm what I can claim for in 'other expenses' eg: £6/week since starting or £6/ week x 52 or? Or are you only able to claim the tax relief if your job was office based and you had to work from home due to Covid? I am not clear. Many thanks
Posted Thu, 23 Dec 2021 16:28:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi

You could claim the full amount if it was for part of the year, however you should only claim the allowance if your employer said you had to work from home.

Thankyou.

Regards.
Posted Fri, 24 Dec 2021 10:00:45 GMT by Julia Massey
Thanks for responding. To clarify - my contract was issued last October 2020 confirming that my place of work was 'home' . It also stated that due to Coronavirus, I should only attend physical meetings where it is safe to do so and that the organisation would follow government guidance on employee matters as a minimum. Is this sufficient evidence for claiming the allowance? Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 24 Dec 2021 10:03:02 GMT by Julia Massey
Second clarification - when you say that I could 'claim the full amount if it was for part of the year'. Do you mean that I could claim £6 per week x 52? Or £6 / week x 26 weeks (October 2020 to end March 2021)? Thanks
Posted Fri, 24 Dec 2021 14:33:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Julia Massey

The first part would mean you are entitled to claim the allowance, you can claim the full years amount.

Thankyou.

Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.