Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 20 Apr 2023 19:11:01 GMT by Heidi Mackenzie
I am due to go away to a different city 80 miles away for 4 nights/5 days for a training course as part of my job role. This is paid for by my employer. It is too far to travel to and from home so they have booked me trains and a hotel for 4 nights. They have said i am not entitled to subsistence expenses while away as i would have meals during this times anyway if at home. Obviously it isn’t the same as i can’t cook in a hotel room, so will need to eat out for 4 nights which costs more. This is definitely bad practice. However, as a paye permanent employee do i have a right to subsistence expenses when away this length of time? It’s completely work related, no food is provided in the training so i will have to pay it all.
Posted Thu, 27 Apr 2023 12:00:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please see guidance at:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.