Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 21:28:20 GMT by Harry .
Hi, I am paid a salary through PAYE and travel roughly 3000 business miles per year in my own car. I claim fuel expenses through my employer for these miles which is not taxed. I am only paid 35p per mile rather than the standard 45p per mile. However, I am also paid a monthly car allowance on top of fuel expenses. This car allowance is paid as part of my regular salary and is taxed with my base pay. Can I still claim tax relief up to the 45p per mile? Thanks
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:56:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You would need to check with your employer if the car allowance covered business mileage.

If not then yes you can claim relief on the difference. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.