Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 28 May 2022 14:30:34 GMT by joseph beeton
When permanently working from home as an employee, if I decide to rent a office space to work from. Is it possible to claim that expense back from HRMC?
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 08:28:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please see following guidance to determine what you can claim for in expenses as an employee :

Claim tax relief for your job expenses    .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 31 May 2022 10:26:27 GMT by Bella Boo
In order to claim expenses as an employee, you must be obliged to incur and pay the expense as holder of the employment, and the expense must be incurred wholly exclusively and necessarily in performing the duties of the employment. Renting office space fails on this test in both accounts. 1) it is not incurred in performing the duties of employment but rather to enable you to perform those duties 2) every holder of the job would need to be obliged to incur the same type of expense. While people can claim wfh, this is for things like power use and not rent. I would also advise you can only claim tax relief from hmrc and not the actual expense itself.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.