Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 03 Jul 2022 17:37:44 GMT by Alexander2502
Dear all, I am looking for advice with regards to being able to claim mileage and expenses. I am a bank member (0 hour contract) and work on a variety of hospital wards and sites. My standard commute is 50 miles each way (100 miles in total) and I do this commute approximately 4 x a week (48hours work). I currently am able to claim back fees associated with my job role (professional registration, union, washing expenses and some working from home expenses - training). I am on PAYE within the hospital bank staff system, so it is different to being self-employed via an agency under an umbrella company. For context, some nursing agencies require you to submit your own self-assessment tax returns and some place you on standard PAYE. In addition, some PAYE agencies also pay their employees for their mileage & hotel expense costs. I am interested to know, the following: a) Am I able to claim for my mileage to and from work, given the fact that I have no permanent fixed working address? b) Am I able to claim back congestion charges & toll bridge fees associated with travelling to alternative places of work? c) Am I able to claim car parking costs associated with work; i.e. pay & display car parking charges to enable me to work d) Am I able to claim back vehicle costs, i.e. if I were to finance/lease a vehicle as it is necessary to get me to work? e) Am I able to claim back public transport costs incurred by travelling to work sites? f) Am I able to claim back hotel/accommodation costs associated towards working patterns? g) Am I able to claim back meal expenses; i.e. £5 lunch expense? h) Am I able to claim back indemnity insurance? I look forward to hearing your responses. Thank you!
Posted Wed, 06 Jul 2022 14:45:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Alexander2502,

In order to make a claim you will need to complete the form P87 for each year you are claiming, when completing the form you will need to breakdown each of the amounts and when reviewed we will reply to advise if this is an allowable expense or not.
The following link gives some guidance regarding expenses you can claim.
Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.