Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 12:34:43 GMT by Trayana
I am trying to figure out how to claim tax relief as a telecoms engineer without permanent workplace, wearing a uniform daily and I also pay union membership to CWU. I think there is an allowance for subsistence (lunch) and washing clothes, anything else? These are not covered by my employer. What are the rates I can claim, can I claim for union membership and is there a special form to be filled in as part of a Self Assessment?
Posted Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:57:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You will need to check our approved list to see if relief is due on your union subscriptions.

Approved learned societies and professional organisations (List 3)

There is no allowance/susistance to claim for lunches as you would still need to supply this whether in an office or not. You can claim for laundry if you wear a logo'd uniform. This should be claimed on the employment section of your return.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.