Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Oct 2022 21:15:10 GMT by W B
I have a personal vehicle which is purchased by myself (no car allowance) and I qualify for the tax relief on Milage due to having to travel to temporary places of work (sites). My company currently pays 25p a mile and the gov recommends 45p for the first 10k miles which means I’m able to claim the difference(20p) .My question is, when do I submit the completed tax relief form? Can I do this monthly, after submitting my employers expense report or is it best to submit one big report in April since the tax year runs April to April?
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:07:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Wiktoria Biorka,

You can do it by either method.
You would do either by submitting a P87 form for the tax year.
If you decide to do them more than once per year, ensure that you include the total amount of expenses so far in the year rather than just the new amount above the previous claim.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 12 Oct 2022 14:14:29 GMT by W B
Perfect thank you. I was intending to do it every month as it would get done alongside my employers expenses report. This won’t cause hassle or problems with my tax code if I do it on a monthly basis?
Posted Mon, 17 Oct 2022 11:30:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

No, the tax code will be updated when we process the claim.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 14:39:21 GMT by W B
thank you. I have submitted my 2nd form, and I just wanted to ask if the previous form gets overwritten or cancelled? For example the previous miles I claimed for were 140, in the second form that I submitted today I needed to claim for 847 miles but I have not included the 140 miles from last time because I had already submitted a form for those the month prior. When I went onto my account I seen that only one p87 form was in progress which was the new one. So I just wanted to check, am I right in thinking every time you submit a new form you need to include all previous miles to date and keep updating the amount that has been paid to you by the employer instead of claiming the difference between the previous and new report? Or do all these forms I have submitted to date get combined at the end of the year and the overall claim is calculated? The fact I can only see one claim pending has made me wonder if I should essentially keep updating the miles, rather than claiming for the difference. Hope that makes sense.
Posted Tue, 01 Nov 2022 15:05:57 GMT by W B
If I have already submitted 2 forms, how can I retract them to essentially combine them? I understand by “ if you decide to do them more than once per year, ensure that you include the total amount of expenses so far in the year rather than just the new amount above the previous claim.” I will need to just keep updating rather than claiming for the difference. Can I just submit another form combining them to overwrite this one I just submitted? Sorry I don’t mean to be submitting too many forms, just want to get this right
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 12:28:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
When a self assessment tax return is amended, the amended version superceeds the previous version.
Then all versions of self assessment tax returns are retained and can be viewed if necessary.
To amend your tax return, all you need do is add new entries, edit existing entries or remove existing entries and then submit.
Posted Fri, 04 Nov 2022 12:38:53 GMT by W B
Hello, how do I edit existing entries? Or amend them? I have looked in my profile and they are both pending. From my understanding I should combine both of my mileage reports to say I am now due 987 (140 from last and 847 for now) and type in how much my employer has paid out thus far . Then next month when I have a new report of say 100 miles I would go back and resubmit a new report for 1087 but type in the amount my employer has paid out so far (25p per mile) so it will only ever show that months payment.
Posted Mon, 07 Nov 2022 13:33:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You would complete a new form, and include the total amount being claimed so far in the year.

When we review your claims, we will work all of the together to ensure we update your record with the most recent claim.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Nov 2022 15:32:55 GMT by W B
I think I will submit one form at the end of the year so that it doesn’t complicate things for myself and the system. Problem is I have claimed for 987 miles already. Say by April I have an additional 1000 miles to claim, how do I go about submitting this? I have already claimed for 987. Do I submit a form to get the remaining 1000? Or do I submit for total mileage which in this example would be 1987
Posted Fri, 11 Nov 2022 12:48:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

You would submit a claim for the total being claimed of 1987.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.