Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 06 Jun 2024 13:50:04 GMT by 454jond
I run my own car for work. I'm salaried and my tax is paid under PAYE. My company pays me 14p per mile for business miles. Last tax year i did 18,570 business miles. All the records are captured on company documentation with receipts etc. When i go to claim the relief on the web portal the amount i can claim relief on is something like £3700, with an end claim of around £700 (figures are approximate). I thought you could claim anything less than £2500 on the portal? But it is saying i need to complete a self assessment form. I'd literally have no idea about how to do this. I've only ever been PAYE. Can somebody shed some light on what i need to do?
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2024 11:04:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If the expenses you are claiming are over £2500 then you will need to complete a Self Assessment tax return.
You can register for Self Assessment by completing a SA1 form Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed.
Once registered you will be sent a Unique Tax Reference, UTR, and a notice to file the Self Assessment tax return.
You can file this online by enrolling using your online account Personal tax account: sign in or set up

Thank you
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2024 10:16:15 GMT by 454jond
Hi. Yes, that's exactly what the online portal says. The amount i'm actually looking to claim though is only around £700. As i mention in my post, i am PAYE, so don't do self assessment. If i go through the process of registering for self assessment, does this mean that i'll always have to do self assessment, or will i be able to go back to my regular PAYE? As i also mentioned, i've never had to do self assessment before and my big concern is that i might get something wrong..
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 10:42:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would only have to file a Self Assessment return if you meet the criteria for doing so, you can check the criteria by using the tool here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

If you no longer meet the criteria, we can cancel your obligation to file a return. If you would like assisstance before, during or after you file your return, you can contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2024 11:32:39 GMT by BellaBoo
Just to clarify, the £2,500 limit is on expenses claimed....not the amount of tax due to be refunded. As you're claiming £3,700 in expenses and that is in excess of £2,500 then a return is required.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.