Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 May 2022 14:18:13 GMT by Mrs F
Please can you advise. Although I've been self-employed for many years, I've never claimed any 'working from home' expenses for the time I use my study as a home-office each day. I see I can either use simplified expenses or work out my expenses as a proportion of total home expenses which is fairly straightforward. But what I can't work out, and need help with please, is: I am a licensed dog home-boarder. I have (approximately) 240 dog nights each year. Dogs access the whole downstairs of my house and sleep in two rooms (one of which is my home-office). Can I claim any 'home-related' expenses for the dogs? If so, which expenses would be relevant and how would I work out what proportion I would claim? Many thanks for any help.
Posted Fri, 20 May 2022 10:44:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see more information here:

BIM47800 - Specific deductions: use of home: contents

BIM75000 gives guidance on simplified expenses and the use of the flat rate, dependant upon the number of hours worked per month:

BIM75000 - Simplified expenses: contents

Below you can see examples that are helpful in explaining how to apportion expenses for business use of the home:

BIM47825 - Specific deductions: use of home: examples

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 23 May 2022 15:28:20 GMT by Mrs F
Thank you for your reply. Those examples are very helpful. Can I check, please - if I were to use the Simplified Expenses, would I have to continue to use those from now on or could I change to using the Specific Deductions in future years (and vice versa)?
Posted Wed, 25 May 2022 16:40:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
For working from home this is optional.
If this was for a vehicle then you would need to remain with the simplified expense for the entire ownership of the car.
Simplified expenses
Thankyou.
Regards.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.