Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 21 Nov 2022 21:05:03 GMT by Soletrader22
Hi I have read through some previous posts and the Business income manuals to try and find a definitive answer to what I can claim. I am a sole trader who works as a handyman/ maintenance person. I drive my truck from my house to a single place of self employed work 2-3 days a week each week continually. Can I use the simplified mileage allowance for these journeys? If not, can I claim anything for using my vehicle for these journeys? Am I classed as a itinerant trader or not as I work those days at the same place each week? (BIM37620) I ask this as the guidance is not clear and reading the different tribunal’s do not answer my question. Please could I get a definitive answer to my situation. Kindest regards
Posted Wed, 23 Nov 2022 15:19:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

As you actually have a base for your self employed work, the journeys from home to work and back are classed as a normal commute to work and therefore do not qualify for travel expenses.

Any additional travel by way of base to clients address would be allowable under business travel.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:10:32 GMT by Soletrader22
Thank you for clarifying that up, much appreciated. The only thing I can claim and most beneficial to me is the trading allowance of £1000. Is that correct? Kind regards
Posted Fri, 25 Nov 2022 15:38:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 30

You can either claim the £1000.00 trading allowance or claim expenses.  One or the other, not both.  So it would be in your own interest to claim that which reduces your profit the most.

Thanks you. 
Posted Mon, 28 Nov 2022 10:03:46 GMT by Soletrader22
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.