Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 11 Jun 2021 11:34:55 GMT by Darren Barton
Hi there, I'm a contractor and am beginning to look for a new contract and will probably operate through an umbrella company as most new contracts will fall within IR35 rules . I’m seeing lots of opportunities online for remote working in my employment field. My question is whether I can claim any business expenses because of remote working. Say for example – I live in Bristol My umbrella company could be registered in London However my end client (their office and therefore the project I’m contracted to work on) could potentially be in say Manchester. Can I claim either through my umbrella or personal self assessment tax return for Travel, Accommodation or Mileage if I need to attend meetings etc in Manchester? These would be one or twice a month for an overnight stay (not commuting) and not breaking the 24 month / 40% rule? The end client presumably would be allowing me to work from home in Bristol but expecting my presence in Manchester at least once a month. Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Mon, 14 Jun 2021 10:47:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

We do not deal with IR35 on this forum, below are links that may help with your enquiry :

Understanding off-payroll working (IR35) .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.