Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:06:31 GMT by
I have an electric car via salary sacrifice which I’ve only just found it is classed as a company car and so I only get 9p per mile which nowhere near covers the cost of travel. I’ve also been using another personal car owned by my wife for work and my company have said that because I have a company car all mileage, even in my diesel private car, has to be paid at the 9p rate as my electric company car. Is that right?
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 08:06:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

As a company car is provided to undertake work related mileage, you cannot claim for using your own car.

Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 19:03:04 GMT by
Slightly different but my partner is employed by me as director of a limited company & our home is the office. No this is not a scam. She visits clients daily in the care industry & uses her own vehicle , can she claim mileage to & from clients?
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 12:42:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Adrian Wallis

If a care worker then they can claim Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR) as their own vehicle is being used for business travel - this does not include home to permanent workplace. If rhe expenses are under £2500 they should fill in and send us a P87. They will need to complete a self-assessment return as your expenses are over £2,500.

Thank you
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 06:14:03 GMT by
Sorry the question is can she claim mileage from home office to client from employer which is me ?

Name removed admin 
Posted Fri, 23 Feb 2024 10:37:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
If a care worker then they can claim Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR) as their own vehicle is being used for business travel.
This does not include home to permanent workplace. 
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 13:00:58 GMT by Craig
Hi there, I am self employed & one of the companies I do business for only pays me £0.20p per mile when I go to different places to work & I travel in my own car. Can I then claim the extra £0.25p per mile to make it up to the £0.45p per mile I'm entitled to?
Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:16:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Craig,
As your client is paying for the travel mileage, not your business, you treat their payment as gross profit and add their payment to the gross turnover. In turn, you claim business mileage as an expense.
In this way you are still claiming £0.45 per mile and effectively claiming the balance.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:14:11 GMT by Sandeep Panghal
Dear Team, Hope you are doing well. I have a query about claiming expenses for travel. My work location and base location as per the contract is London. I work from home 3 days a week and travel to Guildford (customer site) for 2 days a week to perform my duties from my home address in London. Can I claim for this travel from my home address to Guildford customer office as I am using my own personal car? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 12:43:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

We would need to no more details to advise.

Please contact our Income Tax team.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.