Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Nov 2021 11:27:57 GMT by Susan
When I completed my return earlier this week I was able to enter one figure for expenses for turnover less than £85,000,as I usually do. Yesterday and today my partner is trying to complete his return also turnover less than £85,000 but the expenses page is asking for breakdown of expenses, not one figure. Is this a problem with the website? I keep trying web chat but there is never anyone available.
Posted Tue, 23 Nov 2021 13:48:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 26
Hi,

There is no known problem at the moment. It should be the same for both cases if under £85,000. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Nov 2021 16:21:50 GMT by Susan
It is not the same. Have deleted and redone preceding pages and checked turnover is definitely set to less than £85,000, but still being asked for breakdown of expenses. Can one total figure just be put in the last all other expenses box, or are there some other options that are causing this issue?
Posted Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:28:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

We are not aware of any issues so far regarding this but will take this forward for you.

In the meantime, you can just enter a total in the other expenses box at the bottom.

Please also check that you have entered none of the above in the first section of the self-employment page. If you have selected that your accounting period is different from the tax year then this will then bring in the full breakdown pages. 

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Nov 2021 14:08:44 GMT by Susan
Thanks. Yes the the accounting period is different from the Tax year, but this accounting period has been used for nearly 20 years it has not changed this year. Why does it now ask "Has your accounting date changed permanently?" Don't remember being asked this before and not sure how to answer the Yes or No options.
Posted Mon, 29 Nov 2021 11:28:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

This question has been there for a few years now.

If you are unable to default to the short form them you can still enter a total in the breakdown of expenese sheet.

You will still get the same outcome in terms of tax.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Nov 2021 13:57:16 GMT by Susan
If the accounting date has been the same for several years - how do you answer the Yes or No options to "Has your accounting date changed permanently?" answering Yes implies you have just changed it for this return and No sounds like you are going to be changing it again. Tried reading the explanatory notes, but still don't get it. Thanks
Posted Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:32:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

You would not answer yes to this as your accounting date has not changed in the first instance.

thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:50:08 GMT by Susan
So by saying to "not answer yes", you mean answer No, which means saying it is not a permanent change even though the accounting dates are permanent ?!!
Posted Tue, 30 Nov 2021 09:12:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi,

Yes as it is not a change. Only if you change your accounting dates do you then need to consider if this is a permanent change or not.

You are continuing with your own accounting dates as before and therefore there has not been a change, permanent or temporary. 

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.