Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 07 Feb 2022 13:13:57 GMT by Enoch Yim
Hi, I want to clarify what is the allowable expense claim of working from home as a freelancer in UK for a foreign organisation in Hong Kong? I rented a property with two bedrooms apartment with my wife and son. So, can I claim the rental fees as expenses through self-assessment tax return? In my case the monthly rental fee is 1,200, my rental property has three rooms(two bedrooms and one living room) And I have worked from Monday to Friday 6am-2:30pm (8.5 hours per day, 42.5 hours per week and 170 hours per month) So, can I claim the rental fees as 1,200/3 =400 per month as expenses? And the electricity bills also can be claimed as expenses in the same way? (e.g. 60 per month and claim 60/3 = 20 per month for expenses claim) Thanks for your advice. Best regards, Enoch
Posted Mon, 07 Feb 2022 15:14:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please see guidance here regarding self employment expenses for working from home :

Business Income Manual    .

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.