Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:07:44 GMT by ShodanJAB
Hi. I do self assessment for my personal taxes. I see that I can claim tax relief as I'm working from home. However, I have no idea how to do this on the online self assessment form and I'm not seeing any clear answers in forums either. Does anybody know how I claim this? Thanks James
Posted Thu, 19 Nov 2020 13:35:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
Yes, you can claim expenses for working from home. This can be declared as ‘other expenses. You can claim £4 a week for the 19/20 tax year, this increased to £6 per week for the current tax year.
Posted Wed, 25 Nov 2020 11:28:15 GMT by JG
Hi, do you need to complete a self assessment if you are employed but claim for the Covid 19 work from home allowance?
Posted Fri, 27 Nov 2020 16:06:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You do not need to file a return to claim working from home expenses.

You would need to claim this online or with a P87 claim form:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

If you have already claimed the expense, then you do not need to do anything else at this time. 

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:44:20 GMT by karl hudson
I do self assessment. I believe I can claim for working from home tax relief now for 2020 / 2021 how do I do this, I cannot see anything in my self assessment profile to do this.
Posted Wed, 17 Mar 2021 15:10:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hello karl.

You can't claim on the Self Assessment before the year is completed.
It is now too late in the tax year for us to amend a tax code for 2020/21.
You will need to wait until the year ends and claim on the Self Assessment.

Thank You.
Posted Tue, 04 May 2021 11:20:31 GMT by gerardc
Hi I am in the process of completing my self assessment , in the section "Other tax reliefs and deductions" which section covers 'working from home' claim? Thanks
Posted Thu, 06 May 2021 14:55:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Working from home expenses are not claimed in this section, they are claimed on the Employment section.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 May 2021 08:44:32 GMT by gerardc
Hi That did not answer my question, but for anyone else who is searching, this thread did;
Posted Fri, 07 May 2021 10:26:12 GMT by nareshdp
Hi I am trying to claim work from home tax reflef due to covid on self assessment. I cannot see any option on how to do this. Can some help please Thank you
Posted Sun, 09 May 2021 14:03:31 GMT by karenmt
I am employed full time, but do self assessment for self employed work. I have claimed for working from home expenses on my tax return for 2020/2021, which I have submitted. But I believe we can also claim for the current year 2021/2022 on the microform. Is it possible to do this on the self assessment, or do I have to wait until next year,
Posted Mon, 10 May 2021 10:37:08 GMT by Jacopo Larcher
Same here actually - I don't seem to find any options to fill in under the "Employment" section I only get the chance to change the income
Posted Tue, 11 May 2021 08:26:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

You can claim for 21/22 on a p87 form during the tax year if you want to claim working from home tax relief.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 11 May 2021 11:30:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi nareshdp,

The working from home expenses is declared on the employment page in the expenses and allowances section under other expenses and capital allowances.

Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 11 May 2021 15:33:36 GMT by Justin Joyce
Hi, I have 2 queries: 1. I understand I will be able to apply for the working from home allowance (while in employment) when I complete self assessment for the whole tax year 2020/2021, it says £6 per week, so is that a total of 6 x 52, based on number of weeks in the year, which is £312? Or is a tax year some other number of weeks? 2. I also read on some websites that I can also claim this allowance for the last 2 weeks of tax year 2019/2020, when lockdown began in March 2020 - which would be £12? If so, I already filed that tax return before the deadline, in January of this year without being aware of that. Can I also add that somehow retrospectively to my next self assessment for the previous tax year just ended April 2021, or do I need to claim for this in some other way ? Thanks
Posted Wed, 12 May 2021 06:12:46 GMT by haggy
Hello, I am employed and self employed. I completed my self assessment for 20/21 yesterday and I added the £312 into the employment section 'other expenses and capital allowances'. Today I received a tax code change notice from HMRC from yesterday's date, so the 312 has been added to the standard tax code. 1)Should this have happened? 2)Does that mean in my 21/22 self assessment I should not add the 312 into the expenses section 3) Will this automatically end when the covid working from home tax relief ends? I'd be grateful for your help HMRC admin.
Posted Wed, 12 May 2021 13:44:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Jacopo Larcher,

The option on the tax return is do you want to claim any employment expenses and this is a yes or no option.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 May 2021 08:16:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 4
The working for home relief is £312 for the tax year. for 2019/2020 it was £4 a week you can go back on your tax return for 2019/2020 and make an amendment if you done the return online yourself.
Posted Thu, 13 May 2021 19:10:16 GMT by Filipe Maziero
Hello. I work for two companies and therefore I have two P60. When completing my tax return can I add the tax relief of £312 for each employer? Or I am allowed to use it only one time? Thanks for your help.
Posted Fri, 14 May 2021 10:29:27 GMT by Ellie271
For the last couple years I have entered on GOV GATEWAY under my personal tax account I have claimed relief for the working from home tax and also I claimed relief for payment of professional fees/subscriptions. I believe by doing these online my tax code was changed to take this into account. I now need to do a self-assessment return for the last year......... do I still have to put these values on the return? Or is the 'taxable amount' showing on my P60 enough (I assume that my taxable pay is lower since those amounts have already been taken off first?) Thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.