Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 08:42:42 GMT by Charley
HR have suggested to me I claim mileage relief directly from HMRC for the mileage they won't pay me, but after a lot of reading I am still unclear whether I can do this so would appreciate confirmation. My work includes visiting clients frequently. My office base is 29 miles away and I only go there twice a month as it isn't within the area that the majority of my clients are. There is a closer office that I go to once or twice a week, but they will not register this as my workbase despite promoting agile working. The other days I work from home. The company policy is that I have to deduct regular commuting mileage from my registered workbase, therefore I can only claim mileage above 58 miles each day. I am often driving approximately 50 miles a day in the opposite direction to my office workbase visiting clients that I'm not allowed to claim for. Can I claim the relief on these directly with HMRC instead?
Posted Thu, 14 Jul 2022 15:01:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Charley,

You cannot claim for ordinary commuting and this is why your company will not pay for the first 458 miles per day.
HMRC will not cover this either.
If your employer is already paying your milage, you can only claim the difference up to 45p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles and then up to 25p per mile thereafter.
The first 58 miles per day are not classed as business mileage.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.