Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:20:07 GMT by Steven
Hello, during the 2022/2023 tax year I had a fuel card provided by the company i worked for but for usage on my personal vehicle only (no company car). This fuel card was used for both private and business mileage and there was no reimbursement of business mileage or deduction of private mileage cost through the company. The company has now submitted my P11D for that tax year and my current tax code has been adjusted by the amount of fuel spent in that year. I was wondering, because I have not been reimbursed for business mileage by the company, am I able to claim tax relief on the business mileage which equates to circa 4500 miles. If i can, what route is best for this a P87 form or self assessment? Also, what rate would I be allowed to claim would it be 45p per mile? Thanks
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 11:47:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Wayne Ewens,

A reply to your question was posted several days ago, I have duplicated this below.

You can only claim if you are paid back less than the Advisory fuel rates:  Advisory fuel rates

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 18:39:53 GMT by Wayne Ewens
OK. Admin20. Well I still don't understand then? Advisory fuel rates seem to apply to company cars? Mine is a private car that I use for work. I own and fully paid for the car. I have a fuel card for my fuel use from my company but receive no other payment towards maintenance and wear and tear. So does this mean as I receive no payment I can claim something back? If so how please?
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:23:03 GMT by mattyboy6532
Good Afternoon, I have just received my P11d(b), im struggling to understand which section of self assessment the calculated fuel cost for the year needs to be put? I have worked out my mileage relief using the approved mileage allowance and put that in the correct section but all that is left is to input the amount of fuel I have used last year. please help regards 

Name Removed Admin 
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 12:14:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Steven,

You can claim using the approved rates. You will need to do this through Self Assessment if the expenses amount is £2500 and above. You can see guidance here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 09:56:53 GMT by mattyboy6532
i have submitted my self assessment and now today my tax code has gone up by the amount expenses i have submitted. surely that is not correct because the whole point was i was claiming for last year and this year could be massively different. please can you advise me on what happens?
Posted Tue, 27 Jun 2023 13:30:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Wayne Ewens,

If it is for your own vehicle you can see guidance here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:07:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi mattyboy6532,

When you are completing the employment page, towards the end it asks two questions.
One is for Employment Expenses you are claiming, which would be for the Mileage and the second one is for any Employment benefits which would be from the P11D.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 15:08:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi mattyboy6532,

The figures you enter on the return are used as an estimate for the following year.
If you wish to alter this figure you will need to contact us to provide an estimate for 23/24.
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 08 Jul 2023 16:33:22 GMT by Phil
Hi, I have a personal car which has a fuel card for both personal and business usage that forms part of my P11D as a taxable benefit. I understand that I can claim back the tax paid on any business mileage that I do, as I will currently be paying BIK on it. I have submitted a claim for this which has been rejected with the reason “you do no receive any reimbursement from your employer”. Can you please clarify what this would mean, as the purpose for me claiming the mileage is because I don’t get reimbursed by my employer and I pay income tax on business mileage currently.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 10:31:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi philgould84@,

If the employer is not reimbursing you, we require further information explaining why the employer is not paying any reimbursement.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 09:54:21 GMT by Phil
Hi admin, How can I provide this? I only received a letter with no option to respond, there wasn’t a way to attach anything with the online submission, and there is no way to reply online. Many thanks
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 15:53:34 GMT by traveller777
Hi admin, I am in receipt of a company fuel card but I have my own car (and receive a car allowance from my company). My P11D includes a tax free allowance reduction for the fuel card. I did 3265 business miles in 2022/23 in my personal car - all of which I used my fuel card to pay for. I also regularly travel between Northern Ireland and the UK Mainland for work, during which time I use a company hire vehicle and use my fuel card to fill it with fuel. I have completed 8013 miles using the company hire vehicle in the UK mainland. I understand I can claim for the 3265 business miles undertaken in my personal car at a rate of £0.45/mile but I want to understand if I can claim tax relief on the 8013 business miles which have been paid for using my company fuel card? If so at what rate and how do I do this?
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 06:06:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi philgould84@,
In writing to the address shown here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 08:01:51 GMT by traveller777
Hi admin, could you please advise on my query above?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 09:20:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
There are different rates for personal and company cars:
Travel — mileage and fuel rates and allowances
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 09:15:50 GMT by Phill Corner
Hi Admin I recently worked 6 months for a company who issued me a fuel card, I received a monthly car allowance and used my personal car for business use. My P11D has been issued and the full value of the fuel purchased on the card during this period (£1135 in total) has been assigned to section 'N' - Travelling and subsistence payments. is this correct ? for info the split between private/business mileage was 10%/90% respectively. Thank You.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:48:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

It is correct to report the full amount on the P11D.

If you used your own car for business miles then you can claim relief using the authorised mileage rates. You can see information here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.