Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 17:09:11 GMT by
Hello, I work as a locum vet. I have a zero-hours contract and fill in shifts on an ad-hoc basis. This involves going to a variety of different vet clinics across southern england, with no regular pattern or one fixed practice I work at. Having read the HMRC guidance, when being paid via PAYE you can claim for travel expenses made from home to temporary workplaces, but not home to a permanent workplace. As I have no permanent work place in this job (just a series of temporary workplaces based on shift availability), am I correct in thinking I can claim tax relief on my travel expenses from home to the various practices I perform locum work at? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 16:08:43 GMT by Geek
You can claim relief through your self assessment for these site visits. Do ensure that you keep a full record of each trip[ and associated mileage. 45p mile for 1st 10k miles, 25p thereafter - if you dont charge this to your employer
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:16:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi acurrie

If you meet the conditions at EIM32075 - Travel expenses: travel for necessary attendance: definitions: temporary workplace you can claim.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.