Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 19 Mar 2023 18:52:14 GMT by Andrew Simpson
I am a freelance journalist who completes a self-assessment each year. I am currently undertaking a short-term arrangement as a guest lecturer on an undergraduate course at a nearby university. More specifically, it consists of 10 days spread across the current semester. I am not required every week, and the work won't continue beyond the end of April. I travel by train to the university on the days I'm required. The rest of the time, I work from home on other things. What, if anything, can I claim as a travel expense? For example, return train tickets, or the parking fee at the railway station on the days I work at the university. To be clear, my remuneration from the university does not include any travel allowance.
Posted Thu, 23 Mar 2023 15:40:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Andrew Simpson,

Please see guidance here:

Expenses if you're self-employed

Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.