Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 11:46:43 GMT by KJH432 Jones
Hello. I am a sole trader (piano teacher) and do my accounts on a cash basis. My partner is converting half of our garage into a teaching room for me. Can I claim any of the conversion costs (e.g. materials such as new door, flooring, lighting, insulated plasterboard) as an allowable expense? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 14:59:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi KJH432 Jones,
Sorry, no. this will all be capital expenditure as it will have an impact on the value of your property. 
Any teaching equipment you buy to use wholly and exclusively for your business can be claimed as a business expense. 
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.