Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 27 Feb 2023 14:56:10 GMT by Anju George
Hi, I had changed my employer recently and relocated to place closer to the office. The movement happened within UK. I had given a temporary accommodation for the starting month and the payment was done by employer themselves. But, tax is deducted from my salary on a later month saying the accommodation was taxable benefit. Could you please help me to understand if it is taxable or not? From my understanding, relocation expenses given in the form of money to the employee are taxable and others are not. Please help. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 28 Feb 2023 14:38:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please refer to gudance at :

Expenses and benefits: relocation costs

to see what cnditions apply to you and then discuss with your employer  .

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 28 Feb 2023 15:01:07 GMT by Anju George
Hi, thanks for the information. The above link does not give information about temporary accommodation. But I do see a link from HMRC as below. I am confused whether it covers only international move or not. Please let me know if it can cover move within UK as well.
Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 13:19:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Where the relocation expenses are paid by your employer, they are creating a taxable benefit.  
You will need to claim relief which would be set against the taxable benefit.  
You cannot get relief for any amount not re-imbursed. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.