Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:55:29 GMT by EngineerM
I have had a problem with my lumbar spine for some time. This year it got to the point where I was unable to sit at my desk for long periods and I had to move to part time hours to manage the pain. I consulted a specialist who recommended surgery and I could either wait for over a year to have it on the NHS or have it in a matter of weeks privately. To get back to full time hours I opted to have the surgery privately and fortunately the pain is now reduced so that I can work full time hours again at a desk. Can I claim the cost of the private surgery as a medical expense on my self assessment form? Thanks
Posted Mon, 26 Jul 2021 14:35:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 23

No, this would not be an allowable expense. See link below:

BIM37940 - Wholly and exclusively: expenditure having an intrinsic duality of purpose: health


You must be signed in to post in this forum.