Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:45:33 GMT by Irischu
Hi, If I received tax refund this year, do I still need to file tax for the tax refund? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 17 Aug 2022 12:50:46 GMT by Irischu
Just to provide more context, the tax refund is received for my previous overseas job and I would like to confirm if I need to file tax for the tax refund that I received. Thank you!
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 15:51:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

Sorry, it is not clear from your question exactly what your tax circumstances are, and what you want to know.

To check whether or not you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return, please use our Self Assessment criteria tool:    

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Aug 2022 16:09:09 GMT by Irischu
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I am currently a UK tax resident. But I have previously worked overseas and I received a tax refund from overseas this year. Regarding the tax refund, can you please advise if it is considered as an income? If so, do I have to file tax return? Thank you!
Posted Fri, 19 Aug 2022 16:49:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Irischu

No.  The refund of tax from another country is not considered income. 
If you have claimed a foreign tax credit relief for this tax in a tax return, your will need to amend the tax return and reduce the FTCR claimed.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.