Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 08:53:33 GMT by Karen Mills
Firstly can I say I have read the guidance and spoken to an advisor at HMRC who gave me a "best guess" answer, but I am still non the wiser. I work as a freelance outdoor instructor which means I don't work from home or have a usual place of work, I can be asked to deliver in any part of the country and by multiple organisations. I need to know what/if anything I can claim for in the following circumstances:- Mileage I travel 20 miles to deliver a days in school training then drive home again? I deliver two days 'in the field training' but am close enough to home to drive there and back each day? I deliver three days 'in the field training' with 24/7 responsibility for the group. I drive to the start point, drive to meet my group at several points during each day and drive home at the end of day three? I may have a job that finishes on the Monday evening and another starting on the following Wednesday morning in a different part of the country, can I claim travel between the two? Subsistence Can I claim for any meals in the above scenarios?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:43:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

The rules for being employed and self employed are different.  Please have a look at the guidance atBIM37600 - Wholly and exclusively: duality of, or non-trade, purpose: travel costs: contents onwards.  
We cannot provide a difinitive answer, only guidance and its meaning.  You will need to seek out professional advice if that is what you want.

Thank you


You must be signed in to post in this forum.