Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Nov 2021 22:23:47 GMT by Mohammad Khalid
Hi I have read some of the content that is posted but I still cannot seem to understand something. I work as a dentist and am self employed. I would like to get a car on lease (monthly payment plan). The car will be mainly used to go to work (at a dental practice). Will that lease count as a business expense as it will mainly be for work (i.e. I understand the journey and fuel may not, but the actual car lease). Something which I don't normally do, but have done, is take dental lab work straight from the practice to a dental laboratory which also is near my home. Now I am under the impression, that travel between home and work is not classified as an expense, however, if I travel from work to the laboratory (as a duty of dropping off lab stuff) and the laboratory is close to home, may I still claim the jounrye between work and the laboratory and not claim laboratory to home. Hope that makes sense.
Posted Thu, 04 Nov 2021 09:23:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Mohammad Khalid

As mentioned, home to work is not an allowable expense and this would include the cost of the lease of the car.
However the journey to the lab would be an allowable business expense and so you can claim for this.
You would need to therefore apportion the cost of the lease for business use/personal use and only claim the business element.
e.g if you only drop off at the lab 10% of the time you use the car then you would only be able to claim 10% of the lease.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.