Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 22 Dec 2021 16:03:05 GMT by tranquil
I have recently started my own business as a dog walker. I have heard conflicting ideas about whether I can claim the flat rate for fuel from my home to my first client, and from my last client back home. My weeks are not always the same, so I sometimes go to different clients first to collect dogs, depending on walk location and this is also the case when coming home from clients. Sometimes, I also drive dogs to my own home to walk them. Am I able to claim for these journeys please?
Posted Sat, 25 Dec 2021 17:09:30 GMT by whatapk01
One of the largest deductions any pet sitter or dog walker will see is for mileage. Remember though mileage can only be deducted for those filing a Schedule C of From 1040.
Posted Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:46:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi tranquil

Please see guidance here on travel and what can be claimed:

Simplified expenses: expenditure on motor vehicles

Ordinary commuting from home to work (permanent base) is not allowable for tax purposes. 


Posted Wed, 29 Dec 2021 17:29:12 GMT by tranquil
So as I understand it, I do not have a permanent base as I'm going to different places all the time? So I can deduct this as expenses? P. S What's a shedule C?! Do I need to fill this in then, if claiming simplified expenses?
Posted Tue, 04 Jan 2022 08:47:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you do not have a permanent base then you can claim all mileage trips.

Schedule C refers to income from public securities and does not relate to trading income as this falls under schedule D i.e. self assessment.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.