Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:20:13 GMT by MartinJN
I work for a company in London which is 200 miles away and I understand that I cant claim travel to a permanent place of work but i attend occasion meetings in and around London but not at the permanent place of work. The guidance from my employer is "Where an employee chooses to travel directly from home to site, the cost of travel from home to workplace should/will be deducted" As my employee wont reimburse me am I allowed to claim this directly from HMRC?
Posted Wed, 01 Feb 2023 11:15:24 GMT by MartinJN
Can I also add, If I am able to claim this from HMRC will this be a tax relief or would it be 45p per mile. I also occasionally get the train if it works out cheaper than driving. Would the full amount be reimbursed or again would it just be tax relief?
Posted Fri, 03 Feb 2023 13:27:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

What this means is the distance from your home to the meeting place minus the distance from your home to your place of work, is the amount of expense that you can claim for. You will need to use the mileage rates as shown at:

Expenses and benefits: business travel mileage for employees' own vehicles

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.