Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 01:01:37 GMT by
I’m looking to ship some fabric to the UK from the US. The cost of the fabric is $60 and they have advised the shipping costs will be $165. Although the fabric cost is less than £135 will I still need to pay customs on this as the overall cost is over the £135 threshold. If so what would it be? Thanks
Posted Thu, 25 May 2023 16:39:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
I would advise reading over this guidance:
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad or contacting the Customs and International trade helpline on 0300 322 9434 with your query.
Thankyou.
Posted Sat, 27 May 2023 06:59:29 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Elnode The £135 value is based on the price of goods excluding shipping costs. The USA seller should also charge you 20% VAT on the total value of the sale ( including shipping).
Posted Wed, 31 May 2023 23:37:54 GMT by
would there be any duty depending on the commodity code and country of origin when the goods arrive in the uk from usa?
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 10:33:16 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Not if the goods are below £135 as there is a duty but not VAT exemption. If the goods are above £135 then yes there will be from the USA.
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 16:19:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Customs Duty
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK (or the UK and the EU if you’re in Northern Ireland) if they’re either:
excise goods
worth more than £135.
If you’re charged Customs Duty, you’ll need to pay it on both:
the price paid for the goods
postage, packaging and insurance
Type and value of goods  Customs Duty
Non-excise goods worth £135 or less  No charge
Gifts and goods above £135   The rate depends on the type of goods and where they came from - call the helpline
You pay Customs Duty on excise goods of any value.
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.