Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 01 Mar 2022 16:07:25 GMT by K D
Hello. I purchase vintage bicycle frames, from mostly within Europe. They are purchased and the tax when required, accounted for. I then recondition these, by repairing any, that require it. I then prepare them for paint. The first elements of renovation, are pretty clear - I have found that, some of the bicycle paint facilities, within the UK, are not always skilled enough, with specific models of bicycle frames. So, the most obvious (and cost effective method) is to send them to paint facilities, in Italy, Netherlands or Belgium,. I have yet to attempt this, due to the paperwork requirements, which I am somewhat confused by. I am VAT registered and I also have EORI registration - but, I genuinely do not know, which way to look for help and guidance. If, I buy frames in Italy, Belgium & the Netherlands, I pay the customs duty and tax as required. To then "export" the unfinished goods, to the paint facility, and then return the finished goods back to the UK. Any advice, would be most welcome.
Posted Thu, 03 Mar 2022 16:34:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

When you export goods outside the UK for processing or repair and then re-import them, you can use outward processing to reduce your duty payments. You can find more information and details of how to apply here:

Apply to pay less duty on goods you export to process or repair

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 04 Mar 2022 15:54:41 GMT by K D
Thank you for the helpful reply. KD

You must be signed in to post in this forum.