Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Nov 2021 10:36:31 GMT by Yin Kit Wong
Dear Sir/Madam I moved to the UK since June this year. Before I moved to the UK from Hong Kong, I sent several boxes of personal belongings so I made two applications for Transfer of Residence. A few days after I landed in the UK, I got the Unique Reference Number from HMRC for one of my applications. However, since I was busy settling down, getting the tax relief has fallen by the wayside. Now I would like to know that I got Unique Reference Number, what is my next step for claiming the tax relief? Thank you!
Posted Thu, 11 Nov 2021 14:45:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

You can get relief from customs charges due on personal belongings and other goods, when transferring your place of residence to: Great Britain, or Northern Ireland from outside of the EU. 

Make sure you apply for a unique reference number by completing a TOR1 form. This should be used on your shipping documentation.

If you believe you’re eligible for transfer of residence relief, you can still apply using a TOR1 form. If the relief is granted you can then put a claim to have the import duties repaid using form C285.

More information can be found here:

Transfer of residence to UK

Application for transfer of residence relief (ToR1)

You can also employ a shipping agent to look after your import declarations if you cannot deal with us directly.

You can find more information at:

Get someone to deal with customs for you

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.