Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Nov 2021 10:36:31 GMT by Yin Kit Wong
Dear Sir/Madam I moved to the UK since June this year. Before I moved to the UK from Hong Kong, I sent several boxes of personal belongings so I made two applications for Transfer of Residence. A few days after I landed in the UK, I got the Unique Reference Number from HMRC for one of my applications. However, since I was busy settling down, getting the tax relief has fallen by the wayside. Now I would like to know that I got Unique Reference Number, what is my next step for claiming the tax relief? Thank you!
Posted Thu, 11 Nov 2021 14:45:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 26

You can get relief from customs charges due on personal belongings and other goods, when transferring your place of residence to: Great Britain, or Northern Ireland from outside of the EU. 

Make sure you apply for a unique reference number by completing a TOR1 form. This should be used on your shipping documentation.

If you believe you’re eligible for transfer of residence relief, you can still apply using a TOR1 form. If the relief is granted you can then put a claim to have the import duties repaid using form C285.

More information can be found here:

Transfer of residence to UK

Application for transfer of residence relief (ToR1)

You can also employ a shipping agent to look after your import declarations if you cannot deal with us directly.

You can find more information at:

Get someone to deal with customs for you

Thank you
Posted Thu, 08 Sep 2022 08:34:38 GMT by Mimosa
I have sent in my application for Transfer of Residence Tax Relief and received the reference number saying that it has been received. That was two months ago and I am still waiting for the PURN number. I have phoned GOV UK many times and no one can put me through to the correct department, even though they have told me it was received and accepted. I need the PURN number!
Posted Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:42:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Please could you send an email to our TOR team who should  be able to assist.  .

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 17 Nov 2022 10:28:56 GMT by Json
Hello, I have completed the ToR1 application and received the unique reference number. Just wondering if I could amend the approved application and change the date of our first shipment. In fact, I forgot I had my flight schedule changed a few weeks earlier. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Posted Mon, 21 Nov 2022 16:45:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Json
Please could you send an email to our TOR team who should be able to assist.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.